Dare I say it—the weather is getting warmer! Springtime is here and I am thrilled. For sunshine. For pretty walks. For just needing a light jacket. For flowers. And for all the springtime fruits + veggies.
This blueberry crisp is perfect for spring, but also can be made anytime thanks to fresh or frozen blueberries. It comes together in under an hour (maybe even 30 minutes), bakes for 45 minutes, and results in a luscious, juicy, juuust perfectly sweet berry crisp that you, your family, and friends will love.
It’s wonderful served warm or cold. My favorite is warm (either fresh from the oven, or a reheated serving in the microwave), topped with Oat Planet blueberry crumble ice cream or classic Oatly vanilla ice cream.
Eat it as a snack. Enjoy it for dessert. Even savor it for breakfast (it’s blueberries + oats right?!)
Let’s get baking!
Show off your baking! Share it on your favorite social media and tag @FetchingGoodies and hashtag #FetchingGoodies. I love to see + share your bakes.
Best Vegan Blueberry Crisp Recipe
- 1 cup flour (sub gluten-free flour blend for gluten-free) 120 grams
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats (use gluten-free for gluten-free) 100 grams
- 1 cup light brown sugar 198 grams
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick vegan butter, melted 4 ounces
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar 49 grams
- 1 whole lemon, zested + juiced
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot flour 40 grams
- 6 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen 36 ounces
Prep to bake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 or 9×9 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set it aside.
Make the crisp topping
- Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Mix together thoroughly with a spatula or whisk.
- Pour in the melted butter and mix with a spatula until fully combined. Break up any large lumps. Some small lumps are ok – they'll taste delicious when baked. The end result is a crumbly topping.
- Dump the topping into a smaller bowl (I like to use one that can go in the dishwasher for easy cleanup.) Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge.
Make the filling
- Use the same large bowl that you mixed the topping in (that is now empty). Add in the sugar and the zest from the 1 lemon. Add in the blueberries and stir until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and cornstarch. Use a fork to mix the cornstarch into the lemon juice until it's fully dissolved. This will help prevent any cornstarch clumps. Pour the cornstarch-lemon juice mixture over the blueberry mixture and stir until fully combined.
Assemble + bake
- Dump the blueberry mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Remove the topping from the fridge. Give it another stir to break it up to a crumbly topping again. Sprinkle the topping over the blueberries. Use all of the topping.
- Bake the crisp in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the berries are bubbling.
- Cool the crisp on a hotpad or wire cooling rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm. Optional, add your favorite ice cream.
- Alternatively, if you aren't serving the crisp right away, allow it to cool completely. Then cover it and store it in the fridge until you're ready to serve. To reheat, uncover the crisp and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or scoop individual servings into bowls and heat for 30 seconds in the microwave.
Happy spring! I hope you’re able to enjoy some quality time outdoors with delicious crisp a-la-mode.
If you want to see me make this recipe, check out this reel on Instagram.
Did you make this recipe? Share on your favorite social media and tag@FetchingGoodies and hashtag #FetchingGoodies to show it off! I’ll share it in the FG Instagram stories, too.